James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
About the Program
The James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital has a large, well-funded research and development program including studies in —
- biomedical research
- health services
- clinical and cooperative studies
The JAHVH Research Department is fully accredited by the Association of Human Research Protection. Other achievements include —
- The team of Drs. Fiona Crawford and Michael Mullin identified the first genetic causes of Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Dr. David Vesely discovered three heart hormones that treat congestive heart and kidney failure in humans. After his wife died of breast cancer, Dr. Vesely expanded his laboratory research to cancer, and found two of the hormones he discovered also kill cancer cells — even the terminal kind. His latest research, conducted in the laboratory, has the potential to help millions of people with cancer around the world.
Our current research studies enhance the hospital’s ability to provide state-of-the-art medical techniques and treatments to veterans.
More than 200 active research projects are currently being conducted at James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital in areas such as —
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Infectious Diseases
Become a Research Volunteer
The Department of Veterans Affairs ranks as one of the nation’s leaders in health research. Thousands of studies are conducted at VA medical centers, clinics and nursing homes each year. A research study is an organized way of learning more about a problem or answering a question. A research study may be done to:
- Test if a product, such as a drug or piece of equipment, is safe and effective
- Find out what health care practices work best
What are the benefits?
There may or may not be a direct benefit to your health or health condition if you take part in a research study. No one can predict the exact outcome of a research study or how it might affect your condition. The study may not help you personally, but your participation my provide information that will improve the lives of others in the future.
Where can I find more information?
Go to the following Web sites (both link to non-VA sites):
- James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm