James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
Assistive Technology Program
The Mission of the Assistive Technology Program
- To enhance the ability of Veterans and Active Duty Service members with disabilities to fulfill life goals through the coordination and provision of appropriate interdisciplinary assistive technology services.
- To serve as an expert resource to support the application of assistive technology within the VA healthcare system.
Core AT Team
- Program Director, Frederica O'Donnell X3671
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Wheeled Mobility and Seating
- Adapted Sports and Recreation
- Adapted Driving
- Vision impairment
Clients participate in a comprehensive and individualized evaluation, technology trials, product selection and individualized treatment including designing, customizing, programming, adapting, modifying, training, setup, follow-up, maintenance and repair and/or replacement of an assistive technology device. The client and family members actively participate throughout the planning, education and treatment process to promote carryover into the patient's natural environment.
Provision of comprehensive assistive technology evaluation and treatment for services including:
- Electronic Aids to Daily Living (EADL or environmental control units)
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Assistive Technology for Cognition (ATC)
- Computer Access
- Client demonstrates limitation in independent functioning.
- Client demonstrates adequate cognition and physical functions to benefit from and access an assistive device.
- Client may be referred either as an inpatient or an outpatient. Referral from an outside agency is accepted if the individual meets the above criteria.
- Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America
- Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology
- Assistive Technology Industry Association
National VA Healthcare Centers Assistive Technology Programs
- Assistive Technology at McGuire VA Medical Center - Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center - Richmond, VA
- VA Palo Alto Health Care System Home
- Minneapolis VA Health Care System Home
- South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS) Home
Assistive Technology Resources
- Assistive Technology Fall 2019 Newsletter (attached)
- Tampa VA Assistive Technology Program YouTube Playlist
- Great service, looking forward to working with the therapist!
- Both the therapists have been outstanding! They’ve worked hard to help make things easier for me. Thank you!
- Excellent service!
- Very helpful!
- One of the nicest appointments I have had. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
- Outstanding program, very helpful.
- The commitment and dedication surpass the professional level I’ve seen so far. Keep up the excellent work.
- Provided a lot of good information
- Building 38 Polytrauma, 2nd Floor
- 813-972-2000 Ext. 5315
- 813-972-2000 Ext. 5229
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm