James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
Nutrition Outpatient Programs
James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital and Clinic offer many nutrition classes and services to help you meet your personal health goals. From group classes to individual appointments with Primary Care Team Registered Dietitians, there are options for Veterans seeking guidance to improve their overall health and nutrition.
We offer nutrition services at the following clinics:
Main Hospital (James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital)
New Port Richey
Primary Care Annex (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Women Center teams)
You do not need a consult to see a Registered Dietitian. If you are a registered Veteran with our Medical Center, and you would like to see a Dietitian, please attend one of our Mission Nutrition Classes listed below. This is our introductory class where we will review general nutrition topics, strategies for weight management, and connect you with further nutrition services if you desire. If you cannot make it to a Mission Nutrition class, please call 813-972-2000 ext. 2569 to be scheduled to see a Dietitian.
Whether you want to slim down, lower blood glucose, navigate food allergies and/or sensitivities or simply eat better, a Registered Dietitian can help develop a plan to improve your health that is realistic for your lifestyle and tailored to your individualized needs. Start your wellness journey today with the personalized nutrition advice of a Registered Dietitian, your nutrition expert.
Our Nutrition Services
Find the dates and locations for these classes by visiting the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital Events Calendar
* Be Active and MOVE! - Group exercise using TheraBands and resistance training led by Registered Kinesiotherapists. Program available at Lakeland, New Port Richey, Primary Care Annex and Zephyrhills.
* Diabetes Meal Planning – Designed for pre-diabetics and diabetics. Reviews tips for weight management, healthy eating with diabetes and carbohydrate counting. Program available at Lakeland and Primary Care Annex.
* Food for Thought – Monthly health series led by health professionals offering topics from meal planning to eating healthy on a budget. Each session includes a cooking demonstration and recipe tasting. Program available at Primary Care Annex.
* Grocery Store Tour - Learn how to navigate the aisles of the grocery store and find healthy choices in each section of the store. This monthly program is held at a Winn Dixie store in Tampa, Lakeland and New Port Richey.
* Healthy Teaching Kitchen – Cooking class to learn how to prepare healthy and delicious meals. Led by a culinary trained chef, Registered Dietitian. Program available at the Main Hospital.
* Mission Nutrition – An introductory class to review general nutrition recommendations for disease prevention and weight management. This class also explains in detail the many Nutrition Outpatient classes available. Program available at Brooksville, Lakeland, New Port Richey, Zephyrhills and Primary Care Annex.
* MOVE! Weight Management Program - 12 or 16-week intensive program aimed at improving quality nutrition, increasing physical activity, managing weight and improving overall quality of life. This program offers individual feedback from Registered Dietitians and weekly exercise sessions with Physical Therapists. Group classes have been shown to be more effective than individual treatment when it comes to weight management. Program available at Brooksville, Lakeland, New Port Richey, Zephyrhills and Primary Care Annex.
Each PACT (Patient Aligned Care Team) has an assigned Registered Dietitian
Contact your PACT clinic to schedule an appointment or to attend Mission Nutrition.
See what's cooking in the Healthy Teaching Kitchen!
Click here for all recipes
-Chia Pudding Parfait
-Basil Avocado Spread
-Thai Mango Chicken Salad
-Cucumber Side Salad
- James A. Haley Veterans Hospital and Clinics
- 813-972-2000 Ext. 8050
Hours of Operation
- 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.