James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
Did you know? The Lecanto Clinic will be administratively realigned from the North Florida/South Georgia Veterans’ Health Care System (NF/SG) to the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital and Clinics (JAHVH or Tampa VA) beginning in October 2019. This change should be seamless to Veterans and won’t interfere with VA benefits or current care.
- What do patients need to do to prepare for this transfer? Nothing – staff will manage the administrative task of transferring your records from NF/SG to Tampa. Appointments scheduled after Oct. 1, 2019 will be transferred from the NF/SG system and re-booked for the same date and time in the Tampa system. You will receive a call regarding your appointment only if it cannot be scheduled into the same date and time as previously scheduled.
- Is the clinic changing locations or staff? No – the Lecanto VA Clinic will remain open throughout this process, and will continue providing Primary Care, Mental Health Care, and other services just as it always has. The staff will stay as well.
- What if a patient decides to stay with NF/SGVHS but still wants to be seen in Lecanto? If a Veteran chooses to be seen at Gainesville VAMC, or at any other NF/SG site for specialty consulting, an interfacility consult and/or Traveling Vet Coordinator consult can be entered to facilitate that request. Optometry and Audiology appointments are direct scheduling, so Veterans can continue to call those clinics directly to be serviced. However, Veterans will only be reimbursed Travel Pay based on the clinic located closest to their home of record.
- Will Veterans be able to keep their specialty care physicians? Yes, Veterans may choose their Specialty Care from Tampa or NF/SG. The other teams that service Levy, Dixie, Marion, and Sumpter will remain with NF/SG and can be relocated to the Villages or Ocala, or remain short-term in Lecanto.
- What about Home Based Primary Care and Community Nursing Homes? Of the three HBPC teams servicing Citrus County, only one will transfer to Tampa. Two nursing homes will be transferring administratively from NF/SG to Tampa.
- How will Community Care change? Will I still be able to see the same providers? The transition will not impact choice of providers. However, the implementation of the Mission Act on June 6 may change which providers are available under the new law.
- Will DAV and VTS Travel be provided to the NF sites, and will it be expanded from Lecanto to Tampa? A plan to expand DAV and VTS travel is in progress.
- Will a formal announcement will go out to the community? Yes! Stay tuned. We know you will have more questions regarding this transfer, and your VA health care team is here to help you with any concerns, appointment or medication requests you may have. Both NF/SG and Tampa staff are committed to ensuring you continue to receive the high-quality health care you have earned. In the meantime, the most up-to-date information can be found at https://www.tampa.va.gov/locations/Lecanto_Clinic.asp. In addition, a town hall for Veterans and family members with Mr. Joe Battle, Director of JAHVH, and Mr. Thomas Wisnieski, Director of the NF/SG from the Tampa VA and Director is scheduled for Friday, August 23 from 1-3 p.m. at the clinic.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to improve health care for our Veterans!