James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
Volunteer or Donate
James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America's heroes.
The entire staff of the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital extends a warm welcome and appreciation for your willingness to serve as a volunteer at our hospital or one of our outpatient clinics.
To request and application to volunteer, call the JAHVH Voluntary Service Office at (813) 972-7533 or visit the second floor, Rm. 2A-215L near the Auditorium.
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to complete a volunteer application and the paper work for TB Tine Test. Once you have the results of your TB Test, please return the application and results of this test to the Voluntary Service Specialist, in Room 2A-215K or 2A-215E. Volunteers under the age of 18 need to have the TB testing completed with their own health care provider and bring proof when applying.
If you are over the age of 18, you will then be required to complete fingerprinting in Human Resources. Once you have completed the application process, you will be given paperwork indicating the date and time you have been scheduled for an orientation.
If you have any questions, please contact our Voluntary Service Office at (813) 972-7533.
PLEASE NOTE: Parking is available at the Parking Garage located on the main campus on Richard Silver Way. Proceed to the end of Richard Silver Way and the parking garage is located on the left.
Summer Youth Volunteer Program
The 2017 Summer Youth Volunteer Program runs June 8 to August 4. The program benefits Veterans, youth volunteers and James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital staff. Benefits for volunteers include serving America's heroes, community service hours toward high school graduation and recognition at the awards ceremony. Outstanding volunteers are recognized with the Youth Spirit Award and the Outstanding Youth Award, both with $100 gift cards.
Entry requirements: 80-100 hours, willingness to serve and high school student aged 14-18.
For more information, please contact Princella Evans, Voluntary Service Specialist, at *813) 972-2000 ext. 5770 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cash donations are used for the comfort and welfare of our Veteran patients, including -
- personal hygiene products
- refreshment supplies
- holiday gifts
- canteen books for patients’ use in Retail Store, Food Court or Barber Shop
- recreational activities
Non-cash contributions are used to make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Items which are accepted include -
- magazines (no more than two months old)
- telephone cards
- gas cards (for indigent patient's)
For a more comprehensive wish list or to make a cash/non-cash contribution, please contact the JAHVH Voluntary Service Office at (813) 972-7533.
We've listed some of the ways you can volunteer below. However, if you have special skills to offer, please call us at (813) 972-7533 to discuss how yu can best use your talents to help our patients.
Are you looking for some exercise, a chance to smile and brighten someone's day? You'll get an opportunity for both while volunteering as an excort and assisting in transporting patients to and from their appointments in the hospital. Any days/hours are acceptabe from 7:a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and Weekends. Qualifications: Mobile, flexible, and excellent customer service skills.
If you’re looking for an awesome opportunity to assist nursing staff with feeding service for our Veteran patients, we could provide training for you to help feed patients at meal times, especially in Haley’s Cove Community Living Center and Spinal Cord Injury Center. Help is needed 7 Days a week. Breakfast is served from 8 to 9:30 a.m., lunch is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and dinner is from 4 to 6 p.m. (Flexible scheduling.) Qualifications: must be caring, compassionate, flexible, and able to follow safety instructions.
Tram Shuttle Drivers
Be the first to meet and greet our patients and their family members and be the last friendly face when they leave. Volunteers are needed to drive the parking lot tram shuttle golf carts to shuttle patients to and from the parking lots at our facility. Qualifications: Must be personable, friendly, and able to follow safety instrucations and drive a golf cart. Uniforms are provided. You can have a regular schedule or be "on-call."
This is a very busy and complex hospital. We need help in directing patients and their families as they enter our hospital. Volunteers are needed to support the Greeters Program on a regular basis. The program consists of employees and volunteers who greet and assist patients and visitors entering the facility who may need directions or information. Qualifications: must be willing to help people; be outgoing and personable; have a neat, clean appearance; willing to do at least a two-hour shift per week. The position requires standing and walking. Training and blazer/vest are provided.
Surgery Waiting Room
Families/friends waiting for their loved ones who are having surgery need someone to listen and serve as their liaison with Operating Room staff, to keep them informed about the patients’ status. Volunteers are needed on various days, with the greatest need being from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Qualifications: Excellent communication skills, Assist patient’s families with information, answer phones, serve coffee and provide support.
Some volunteer opportunities are available during evenings and weekends including: feeding patients; assisting staff on the units with errands and patient escorts; recreational activities, and helping to transport patients to and from Chapel services.
Student/Youth Volunteer Program
The Summer Youth Program provides an exciting opportunity for youth to gain real world work experience while learning about the contributions and sacrifices of our Veterans and active duty service members. Students must be 14 years old, and have written parental consent on the application. The program runs June through August annually. Student volunteers are placed in various assignments and departments throughout the hospital.
Café VA Hosts
Our Café VA offers computer access for inpatients, outpatients (on date of appointments) and their family members. Café VA is open weekdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 5 to 7 p.m., and on weekends from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. We are looking for hosts to serve refreshments, to socialize with the guests and to offer computer assistance if needed. We were also looking for some café entertainment (karaoke, for example). Refreshments and supplies in the café are provided through donations.
Voluntary Service conducts annual special events including:
- National Salute Week, celebrated the week of Feb. 14. This week is set aside to increase the community’s awareness about the services provided by VA facilities, to invite members of the community to visit inpatients and outpatients to express their appreciation for these heroes’ services in defending our nation’s freedom, and to invite the community to serve as VAVS volunteers to enhance the services provided by VA facilities to its patients.
- Make a Difference Day, held the fourth Saturday in October, is a national day of giving back and helping others, sponsored by USA Weekend magazine. Our hospital’s Make A Difference Day project has been named “Homeward Bound to Those Who Served”. There are approximately 47 non-service connected veterans in foster homes in the Tampa area. They have chosen to live in these foster homes (which are visited regularly to ensure that specific standards are met) rather than nursing homes. They have very limited funds after paying for their stay in the foster home. Voluntary Service and Social Work Service work together to collect a wish list for each of the patients. With the help of volunteers sharing their time and resources, gifts will be assembled for personal delivery to each of the foster home patients.
- Christmas Gift Distribution — Volunteers are welcome to assist with the assembly of approximately 400 gift bags for inpatients. The Gift distribution begins at 1 p.m. Individuals, organizations and businesses are welcome to present gifts for these gift bags. Contact Voluntary Service for additional information about gift ideas or contributions.
Many Other Opportunities
There are many other volunteer opportunities available in clinics, library, nutrition and food service, business Office, health administration service, community living center, etc. Groups and/or organizations may also sponsor evening activities (bingos, horse racing, and casino nights) for inpatients; Recreation Therapy is specifically looking for a bingo sponsor on Monday and Wednesday evenings. We are seeking sponsors for patriotic events: POW Ceremony in April, Memorial Day in May, Flag Day, POW/MIA Day, Patriot Day in October and our Veterans Day Parade. Sponsors may provide entertainment, Color Guard, refreshments, and/or flowers.
Benefits for Volunteers Include
- complimentary lunch weekdays if volunteering 4 or more hours
- orientation and training program
- Personal Satisfaction of helping those in need and giving back to your community
- Networking and Meeting new Friends
- Skill building and training
- Annual Volunteer Awards Recognition Luncheon
- free TB testing and flu shots
- flexible scheduling
- free medical treatment if injured or acutely ill while doing volunteer work
How to Join Us for an exciting volunteer opportunity:
To become a volunteer, or to learn more about volunteer opportunities at our hospital, contact the Voluntary Service Office at (813) 972-7533.
Voluntary Service (135) James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital
13000 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33612
Any potential or interested volunteers must complete a brief Volunteer Application; have an interview with Voluntary Service Specialists to identify a mutually suitable volunteer assignment; complete a TB Test, which we provide free of charge here at the facility before you begin volunteering; as well as, completion of fingerprint and background screening in Human Resources. We also provide complete orientation and training. Uniforms are required and provided to you on your first day.