James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
Volunteer or Donate
James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers to make James A. Haley one of the best facilities for our American heroes in the nation.
Please email the completed Volunteer Questionnaire to VHATAMVoluntaryService@va.gov to begin the application process.
We are very excited to have a vital, vibrant volunteer force at our facility. Our goal is to ensure that the volunteer experience at the James A. Haley VA Veterans Hospital is as rewarding to the volunteer as it is beneficial to the patients, families, visitors, and caregivers. To learn more about becoming a volunteer, please call Voluntary Service at (813) 972-7533 located in room 2A-215L, across from the Canteen in the Main Hospital.
We are looking for people who have the following skills:
- A friendly, outgoing personality
- Good communication skills
- A desire to work with our nation's heroes
James A. Haley Veterans Hospital and Clinic volunteers come from all areas of the community and represent a variety of professions, physical abilities, age groups, and ethnic and cultural backgrounds. All have made the commitment to donate their time to patients, families and visitors and become a part of our community.
Adult volunteers (minimum of 18 years old) who are Regularly Scheduled are asked to commit to a minimum of 4 hours each week for a minimum of one year.
Teen volunteers, students 14-17 years old submit a youth volunteer application in spring 2020 for the summer of 2020.
Volunteers are educated about the importance of ethics and confidentiality, professional behavior and appearance, proper patient interaction, universal precautions, infection control, fire safety and information privacy and cyber security.
Unit and area specific training is provided for each placement. It is possible to cross-train a volunteer in several areas of the hospital. Every effort is made to match the applicant’s skills, abilities, schedule and interests with the needs of the facility.
As a member of our volunteer team, you will receive:
- General orientation to Voluntary Service
- Job specific orientation and training
- Health Coverage whilst Volunteering
- Free parking
- Meal Ticket (after 4 hours of service)
- Free Flu Shots (for adults and for youth volunteers with parental signature)
- Letters of Recommendation (after 100 hours of service)
- Eligibility for scholarships offered by service organizations and VA
- Training opportunities
Every hour of volunteer service is deeply appreciated, and service awards are presented each year to honor active volunteers for their contributions to James A. Haley Veterans Hospital. Volunteers may donate their hours to many service/civic organizations Volunteers are recognized at formal and informal events throughout the year.
Donations provide for the increasing needs of the Veterans we serve. All donations are tax-deductible.
Types of Donations
- Temporary lodging for eligible Veterans, service members and family members
- Refreshments for patient activities
- National Games
- Gift cards
- Paperback books and magazines
- Hygiene items: shampoo, body wash, toothbrushes, razors, deoderant, shaving cream
- New clothing: socks, shoes and underwear