James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
Information for Veterans
To be eligible for services provided by the CPRP, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- You are a veteran eligible for treatment by Veterans Affairs medical facilities
- You are an active duty military service member
An evaluation and screening process for the CPRP are required to determine appropriateness for programming.
There may be some charges to you for our services. This will depend upon which eligibility category you are in. Check with your local VA eligibility office to determine if any charges will be incurred from the program. If you receive care at the Tampa VA, call our eligibility office at (813) 972-2000, ext. 1710 for this information.
If you are interested in services provided by the CPRP, you MUST be formally referred to our program by a VA provider.
Information for VA healthcare providers regarding referral is available on the For Professionals page.
A screening process is required prior to admission. You will either be seen in person or contacted via telephone by medical and psychology staff.
If you are accepted for admission to the CPRP, staff will call to confirm your admission approximately one week prior.
If you need to reschedule your admission date, you must cancel at least two weeks prior to your scheduled admission date. We want to ensure that all of our available admission slots are used. If you cancel after that date, you will not be able to be rescheduled without additional screening by the team.
On your admission day, you should report to the Motivation-3 Unit, which is located on the 3rd Floor of the Polytrauma Building between 12-3PM.
You will need to bring the following items from home with you:
- Comfortable clothing (enough for at least 1 week)
- Light jacket/sweater
- Comfortable walking shoes with adequate support. Do not only bring in sandals.
- Shower shoes
- Water shoes for the pool. Flip flops cannot be worn in the pool.
- Swim suit/swim trunks
- Alarm clock
- A bag, if desired, to carry program materials
- Any item to make your bed more comfortable (e.g., pillows, blankets)
- Washer and dryer facilities as well as detergent are available at the program. If you require a special type of detergent please bring it. It must be compatible with a high efficiency washing machine.
- Any medical devices that have been issued to you
- Primary ambulatory device
- CPAP mask
- Hearing aids
- TENS unit
- Heating pad
- Completed worksheets in admission packet
Please do not bring valuable items to the program. Cash can be deposited in Patient Funds on the first floor of the hospital.
You will be attending classes Monday through Friday from approximately 7:30AM to 4:00PM, with one social activity each evening. Overnight and day passes are only available on Saturday and Sunday but are not guaranteed.
Travel arrangements should be made through your referring VA, and your local VA social worker should be contacted once an admission date is scheduled to assist with coordinating your flight. Typically, the referring VA pays for travel to Tampa, and CPRP social worker will coordinate your return trip home upon completion of the program. For those flying to Tampa, you should travel from the airport to the Tampa VA by way of the Yellow Cab Company (813) 253-0121. Your taxi driver should accompany you to the 3rd floor of the Polytrauma Building to obtain the payment voucher. If you do not use the Yellow Cab Company for transportation, you will be responsible for the cab fare.