James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital - Tampa, Florida
New Bed Tower
Welcome to the webpage where we will share information and updates about all things Bed Tower! This three-year project will provide the state-of-the art private inpatient rooms that our Veterans deserve.
- This three-year project is the first of its kind in which the VA is partnering with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and marks an important part of our expansion as a hospital
- It will be located on the main campus adjacent to the Community Living Center (Haley's Cove)
- Features include:
- Four floors, approximately 245,000 square feet with an additional 5,000 square feet to be renovated
- 96 medical-surgical single patient rooms
- 40 intensive care unit beds
- Canteen, outdoor dining area and healing garden
- Other assorted support spaces
Construction and Shuttle Updates
- The pedestrian bridge across Bruce B. Downs Blvd. was demolished and rebuilt as part of the construction project, so a shuttle is running from the University of South Florida and the hospital. It runs from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. A sign designates the shuttle pick up location outside the Morsani College of Medicine and it drops off outside the main entrance of Building 1 at JAHVH. The pedestrian bridge will still be available for foot traffic, but people will need to follow the sidewalk to Richard Silver Way entrance to access the JAHVH campus through Gate 3. Map
- The offiste parking and shuttle for Veterans and staff is now operational. Designated parking is available at University Mall near Grands, with a free shuttle that will drop people off near the Central Energy Plant. The shuttle runs every 20 minutes from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Map
- Valet parking has moved to the Freedom Parking lot on 133rd Avenue across from the WaWa gas station. A shuttle is available to take Veterans (and staff) to the hospital. Spaces will continue to be available for staff parking as well. Map
- The off main campus, leased clinic shuttle pick up location (Purple & Orange Routes) is at the parking garage shuttle stop. Map
- Road work near the Fisher House will begin and a temporary road to the Emergency Department will open in the Diamond Parking Lot.
- The Juliet Parking Lot is open for employee parking. Map
- The Diamond Parking Lot at the front of the hospital has been completely fenced in except for the Emergency Department road for ambulances and some ED short-term patient drop-off spots for the duration of the construction project. These drop-off spots are accessible from Richard Silver Way Map
- Gate 2 off Bruce B. Downs Blvd. (main entrance by the pedestrian bridge) is closed. Veterans, staff and visitors can still use Gate 1 on Richard Silver Way.
- Gate 3 is open for shuttle service and pedestrian traffic only.
- An additional shuttle stop will be added to the Freedom Lot Valet and Staff parking shuttle route. It will enter through gate 3 and drop off at the main entrance of Building 1. Map
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to improve the Veteran experience.